A Travellerspoint blog

Tokyo told in Pictures

overcast 70 °F

A lot of our time here in Japan was with the Rokudan Choir, a bunch of old, powerful guys from Toyko who like to sing. Apparently, the former Prime Minister of Japan is in it, as well as Kent Gilbert, who was allegedly in the original Godzilla movie. I don't know about either of those, but my "buddy", the guy I was paired with to help learn correct Japanese pronunciation, was awesome. He is a professor of robots, basically. He told me he is currently working on the kitchen bot that will guide people through the process of cooking meals. Besides being a genius, he's a really nice guy. Oh yeah, and his name is "Yeah-sushi"!


At some point in Tokyo one of Oki's dad's friends treated us to dinner at the Hyatt Tokyo. It was a blast! Also, coincidently, the guitar-flute duet that serenaded the space with played three songs in the Alley Cat rep in a row: In-wood, Chuga, and On the Street where you Live.


Couldn't tell ya what this is, but I liked it a lot, thus I took a picture.


A peak at some of the Hyatt's cool architecture.


We also performed at a Buddhist Temple. So cool! We had to wear slippers and everything.


When Sho, Lahn, and I went exploring in Tokyo, we hit up his favorite Japanese food place. That's what I ordered. Actually, now that I think about it, it was the only thing on the menu.


Father-Son Pic on some famous crosswalk. (No homo)


A typical street in Ginza District of Tokyo



Italian food in Japan is strangely delicious.


On night, the girl I sang "Is that the Way You Look" was especially beautiful, and the audience was loving it. In fact, when I said, "excuse me, miss", everyone gasped, and then started cheering. After the concert, our contact, Kenta, came up to me and said, "Do you know who you sang that song to? She's a famous model here!" That was cool, but what was even more awesome was that the next day, I ended up seeing her on the subway to Harajuku!

Our first day in Tokyo was long, rainy, and miserable.



It took an 8 hour bus from Kobe that left at 6 o'clock in the morning to get us there in time to rehearse with the Rokudan. When we finished, we all met with our homestays. Except for Sho's and mine, who apparently couldn't make it out. It turns out that was because he lives super far away. Thankfully, he left us directions in broken English, complete with photos of landmarks to guide us along the way. But the time we finally arrived at his door around midnight, we were soaking wet, starving, and physically exhausted. All we wanted to do was sleep. But, because he's a freak, he made us "showa first". After our mandatory showers, he hands us this document:


The next morning, we wake up promptly in time for 7 am breakfast. We were THAT hungry. But, to our dismay, we were politely asked to "showa first". That's how it was for the next couple of days. I complain, but in the end he was a really nice guy. He just had issues.

That about sums up my time in Tokyo. Off to Fukuoka tomorrow!

Until next time,

Posted by Rydin' the Wave 11:11 Archived in Japan

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint